13.2.1717 - 14.7.1790
300 let výročí narození G. E. Laudona
Partneři
CS / EN / DE / PL

Walking route G. Laudon

1. Laudon’s House
2. Žerotín Château
3. Town Hall
4. House of the Green Tree
5. Old Post Office
6. Lower Gate
7. Banner’s spring in Šenov
8. Church of Saint Martin in Šenov
9.Kunín Château

 

1.Laudon’s House

In 1790 a great army gathered in the area surrounding Nový Jičín, with which Marshal Laudon was to endeavour to recover Silesia for Austria. During a military inspection of the fortifications at the end of June, Laudon fell ill and had to be taken to Nový Jičín, where he took to his bed. He died in Nový Jičín on 14th June. A music and dance hall was established on the upper floor of the house in 1800 and the building was subsequently transformed into a pub at the beginning of the 19th century. The visitor’s and information centre is now located in this building.

2. Žerotín Château

We enter the complex of the former Teresian château through the gate on 28. řijna Street, which used to bear Marshal Laudon’s name. The château became the administrative centre of the whole Nový Jičín-Štramberg estate and a headquarters for clerks. But some parts were also transformed into a military infirmary and the château garden in the nearby Green Moat was transformed into a military cemetery. Following the Battle of Slavkov the château housed the headquarters of all the imperial field hospitals in Moravia.

Today the château houses the Museum of the Nový Jičín Region.

3. Town Hall

This building has been the town hall since 1593. At the beginning of the 19th century the main military guardhouse, which had been situated in the middle of the square, was also moved next to it. The military garrisons kept guard there and their changing of the guards ceremony enriched the atmosphere of the small rural town.

4. House of the Green Tree (Dům U Zeleného stromu )

One of the oldest inns in the town was purchased by the municipality in 1721 to serve as accommodation for soldiers. Emperor Josef II. himself spent the night here in 1787 on his way to visit the Russian Tsaritsa Catherine II. to negotiate a joint method of action against the Turks. Marshal Laudon’s reputation soared during this war, when he conquered Belgrade fortress in 1789. The “Green Tree House” inn’s name was subsequently changed to “Emperor Josef II.”. A bronze statue in honour of the emperor was also revealed on the square in 1902.

5. Old Post Office

One of the most remarkable buildings in the town was built in 1563 in the Italian Renaissance style. A hereditary post office was established in the building in 1787. The building was visited by a number of important figures, including the Russian Tsar Alexander I. and Laudon’s colleague from the Turkish wars, the legendary Marshal Suvorov.

6. Lower Gate

This is where the lower gate, a three-storey building, stood until 1842. Its towers were demolished by the Swedes in 1643 and in Laudon’s time it was used as a residential building. One of the first local textile factory owners, Johann Nepomuk Preisenhammer was born in the tower, which is why the building was called Preisenhammer’s tower.

7. Banner’s spring in Šenov

We will ascend all the way to Banner’s spring with its curative water, which, according to legend, Marshal Laudon in Nový Jičín also found to his liking. It is named after another legendary military leader, the Swedish General Banner.

8. Church of Saint Martin in Šenov

The church dates from the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries and is one of the oldest churches in the Nový Jičín Region. Its original Gothic appearance has been retained mainly in the four-storey square tower and vestry. The legendary Kunín Château steward, Leopold Bernard Ditrich, is buried in the crypt located below the church in the centre of the presbytery. The frescoes are the most important element of the whole church. Moravian Baroque painter Josef Ignatius Sadler of Olomouc is their author.

9. Kunín Château

The château in Kunín is the only château built by architect Johann Lucas Von Hildebrandt in this country. The most famous owner of this château, Countess Walburga, lived here when Laudon stayed there. Two years after Laudon’s death she founded one of the best schools in the whole of Austria at which the future father of the nation František Palacký was educated. The château is open to the public and its historic interiors are of particular interest.

We wish you a pleasant journey!

 
X